This sweet potato crust pizza is a great alternative to regular pizza dough. The original recipe calls for some spices added into the dough, but my husband and I felt that they were overpowering. I made this a second time with with just sweet potato, egg and almond meal for the dough and it was a lot better. You can decrease the bacon and cheese amount to lower the fat content, but c’mon, it’s bacon and it tastes so good! I spread the dough out on a silpat, covering about a 12×18″ space. This turned into 6 servings for our family.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond flour (I only had almond meal, it worked fine)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 lb. pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400°.
- Cook sweet potatoes in microwave until soft.
- Peel sweet potatoes and add to large mixing bowl with 1 cup almond flour and 1 egg, Mash ingredients until well combined and the mixture takes on a doughy consistency.
- Use rubber spatula to spread on a silpat or pizza stone.
- Cook dough at 400° for 30 minutes.
- Remove pizza dough from oven and spread 1/2 cup barbecue sauce and 1/2 cup tomato sauce on top.
- Cover pizza with shredded rotisserie chicken, crumbled bacon, and cheese. Drizzle with barbecue sauce.
- Return pizza to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Slice and enjoy!
The dough can become soft when reheated as leftovers, but still tastes just as awesome eaten with a fork!
Recipe adapted from The Soccer Mom Blog.